What's new

BW Light Practice - Open to All Comp Light Pilots - 9:30 Est

Vercinix

Captain
Officer
BW Light Practice - Open to All Comp Light Pilots - 9:30 Est

Any Questions see xMarshallx

Could we get this to be a recurring event on Wed?  Looking to do 930-1100 EST every week.  Next week we're going to work on scouting - still trying to figure out the best way to go about doing this in a practice setting with a bunch of lights, so if anyone has suggestions please speak up.

One Last Byte

Sergeant
Black Watch
xMarshallx link said:
Could we get this to be a recurring event on Wed?  Looking to do 930-1100 EST every week.  Next week we're going to work on scouting - still trying to figure out the best way to go about doing this in a practice setting with a bunch of lights, so if anyone has suggestions please speak up.
Here are the ideas I've had or heard so far. Currently all plans are 4 v 4 or groups of 4:

1. Public Queue Practice
This is plain and simple. We take a couple of really heavy mechs (dwfs?) and a light mech or two and focus on having the light pilot(s) give good scouting info so that the heavier guys can set up properly.

2. Base Defense
This one's a little more complex. We set up a private lobby match (game mode Assault) of two lights and two heavies vs three atlases and one light/medium. The objective for the team with the heavies is to get at least one heavy to the enemy base--the team with the atlases has to destroy them before they get there. Scouting will be important so that both teams can maneuver properly, and being specific with numbers of mechs in a location will be relevant. No puppy guarding the base, of course.

3. Light Rush
Both teams bring all light mechs with low to no armor. First one to reach the enemy base wins. As an alternative, you could make one team 4 Ravens (full armor) trying to protect a base from 4 Cheetahs (with low-no armor). The hope with this is that the one team will have to scout a wide area to ensure no light mechs slip by to their base, but at the same time the rushing team will need to identify where enemy mechs are defending. Scouting without being seen and ways of distracting the enemy team, two things which are great to learn as a light pilot, could also be picked up here (or in the Base Defense mode).

4. Light Attack
I heard someone mention this idea at the practice tonight. We'd have one team with 3 long-range heavies and one scout against a team of four close-range lights. The objective is simple: kill the opposing team. I think this would be interesting to try, but I'm worried that the team of four lights won't get much chance to scout (once you see where those long-range heavies are, you pretty much just have to decide how to close in).

5. Priority Target
Each team gets a Streakcrow or some strong medium brawler like a HBK-4P. The objective is to kill all enemy mechs, with an emphasis on prioritizing the medium mech first. (The medium mech may be replaced for something heavier depending on how this goes.)

6. No Seismic
I've just had this idea and it's probably the weakest, but what we could also try is staging engagements in dense urban areas (for example, the urban area of crimson straits) with no seismic sensors. Dunno what weight classes we would use (maybe 3-1-0-0?).

7. Standard 1/1/1/1 Scrim
Exactly what it sounds like. One mech of each weight class per team.

We could also just try all of these ideas at the next practice. While this practice (which was more focused around light piloting within an engagement) went very well, I'd be surprised if everybody gets scouting down in one go (especially since it's hard to simulate outside of actual queue/scrims). We could use this next practice as a sort of trial run for these scouting scenarios to figure out which one is best. If this light practice ends up developing into a boot camp of sorts as we have more light pilots come into the fold, it'll be good to know we have some reliable scouting exercises.

Riam

Private
Golden Talons
I would love it if light practices were a recurring thing; I couldn't make it today because I fell asleep right after school for 5 hours straight and didn't have the time to show up to practice and do homework. I'll try to show up each time there's a light practice, but is there any chance the time could be adjusted? I have violin lessons each Wednesday at 10:30 EST to 11:15 EST. If not, that's totally fine; I'll just show up for the first hour or so.

One Last Byte

Sergeant
Black Watch
Riam link said:
I would love it if light practices were a recurring thing; I couldn't make it today because I fell asleep right after school for 5 hours straight and didn't have the time to show up to practice and do homework. I'll try to show up each time there's a light practice, but is there any chance the time could be adjusted? I have violin lessons each Wednesday at 10:30 EST to 11:15 EST. If not, that's totally fine; I'll just show up for the first hour or so.
We can try to work the time out a little bit. Currently the practices were only planned to run 9:30-11:00pm so you wouldn't be missing too much. One thing to remember though is that Swamp Fox practices are usually 8:00pm on Wednesdays, so too much earlier and people will have to either leave practice pretty early or miss the light practice.

I will be out of town this Wednesday for the holidays.  If someone would like to pick up hosting light practice for those who are still around go for it, otherwise, we will resume our weekly schedule on December 30th.

One Last Byte

Sergeant
Black Watch
xMarshallx link said:
I will be out of town this Wednesday for the holidays.  If someone would like to pick up hosting light practice for those who are still around go for it, otherwise, we will resume our weekly schedule on December 30th.
I'll be in town on the 23rd, but I'm not sure if my family will be doing anything in particular (I'm expecting not since it's not Christmas Eve). I will get on TS between 9:00-9:30pm EST if I'm available for the practice. If I'm not there at that time then we will not be leading any light practice this week. However if people would still like to group up for some light practice, by all means go for it.

Also, I left my mic at college, so still looking for a solution to that problem until the end of January.

One Last Byte

Sergeant
Black Watch
I am around for tonight's light practice. I am still out of a mic (computer has one built in if I desperately need it but the background noise would make it annoying to use normally, for others). We may do scouting review--I won't be doing much scouting without a mic, so it'll give me a good chance to listen to what other people are saying. Otherwise it'll just be pug queue or scrimming with any swamp foxes still around.